Sunday, December 12

recipe: Laura's Special Rice

This recipe seems as old as I am and it was my first favourite dish ever when I was a kid, I use to have it in a little restaurant in Odemira (Alentejo, Portugal) and forced my mother to make it for me. When she asked how, I (who must have been 5 or 6 years old) promptly told her in a very proper way the recipe from the top of my head! I was no culinary genius as you will notice soon when you read the recipe, but I thought I was so smart back then and today, this continues to be one of my favourite dishes.

Serving 4:

1 1/2 cups uncooked basmati rice, 4 eggs, 3 tuna cans, olive oil, 2 garlic cloves, 1 brown onion, 1 green capsicum, 6 small tomatoes, 1 can of diced tomatoes, dry oregano


1. Cook the rice in salted water. When ready, transfer to a colander, wash and drain;
2. Heat some olive oil in a large sauce pan, add the chopped garlic cloves and onion and cook in medium heat for about 5 minutes;
3. Chop the capsicum and add to the sauce pan, cooking for another 5 minutes;
4. Add the chopped tomatoes, cooking for 5 minutes and finally, add the diced tomatoes from the can;
5. Let the sauce cook for a while until the vegetables are soft. Remove from heat and blend everything together with a mixer. Transfer ba
ck to the pan, add salt to taste and some oregano. Your tomato sauce is ready.
6. Put the eggs in a small bowl, mix them all together with a pinch of salt and cook them in a frypan (basically make scrambled eggs!);
7. Now you can start assembling: Get a small bowl and pack about 2 spoons of cooked rice on the bottom, next add 1/4 of the egg mixture and you have your second layer, next another 2 spoons of rice, 1/4 of the tuna (previously drained) and finally top with enough rice to cover it all.
8. Place a plate on top of your bowl, turn everything around carefully and remove the bowl. Top with the tomato sauce and voilla!


2 comments:

  1. I can see it. Just looking at the ingredients tells me that it's delicious!

    Hiro

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was delicious, Hiro!
    You should try it sometime!

    ReplyDelete