Monday, March 14

recipe: Seppie al Nero

I got this recipe again from Nigella Lawson (I have made some modifications...), and I was very excited to try it on, first because I love squid, and second because I kinda liked the idea of having a pitch black meal fro a change....needles to say I didn't get it quite right as you can see in the photos...I got a brownish dish...full of flavour still, but without the wow factor that black would have. And the problem is that instead of using ready bought squid ink...I extracted it myself...a quite disgusting process to say the least...but I couldn't find it anywhere around me...so, my advise is, if you cant find squid ink, don't bother de-gutting the poor animal and forget about the ink all around.
Do try the recipe, its very very good!

Serves 4:
500g squid, 1 tbsp olive oil,1 bay leaf, 1 brown onion finely chopped, 2 garlic cloves crushed, 2 tomatoes chopped, 1/3 cup white wine, 3 tbsp chopped parsley, squid ink, salt & pepper to taste, white rice to serve


1. Heat oil in a sauce pan. Add bay leaf, chopped onion and garlic and cook in low heat until it all gets soft;
2. Add squid and ink and stir to coat;
3. Add chopped tomatoes, wine and parsley and let simmer covered for half and hour;
4. Season with salt and pepper, serve
with white rice topped with more chopped parsley.

No comments:

Post a Comment